Choosing a real estate appraiser is a vital step in the process of selling your home. So, what five questions can you ask your potential appraiser to make sure that you are choosing the best appraiser for your needs?
An independent appraisal sets the value for your real estate property, so the professional real estate appraiser you choose should give an unbiased opinion based solely on the condition of your home and the comparative rates of other real estate properties nearby.
There are some questions you can ask your potential appraiser to verify that they have the knowledge and credentials to help you. This way, you will know how to choose the right real estate appraiser for all of your needs:
1. Ask your real estate appraiser about his or her license. Federal law mandates certification for real estate appraisers in most states. There are two types of licenses: The Certified Residential Real Property Appraiser and Certified General Real Property Appraiser licenses. Appraisers also need an associates degree.
2. Ask your appraiser for references. The references can be current or previous clients, but they must be relatively recent. Don’t be afraid to call and ask about your appraiser! It may seem awkward at first, but a former client will tell you if your appraiser is any good.
3. Make sure the person you are working with is not a loan officer but an actual appraiser.
4. Test your appraiser by asking community specific questions like, is there a school near-by or ask them to tell you where the local park is. If he or she can answer, this means they have become familiarized with the area and they have a good understanding of local needs and values.
5. Ask your real estate appraiser if they’ve worked with a home similar to your home before. If they have only worked with co-ops or commercial property, they may not work well in a home sales environment.Tags: appraisal, appraisal questions answered, appraiser, appraiser questions, buy a home, does your appraiser, home appraisal, home appraiser, home sales, home value, How to choose a real estate appraiser, how to pick appraiser, questions appraisal, real estate, what is an appraisal, what is appraisal
Categorised in: Appraisal Tutorials & Info
This post was written by Joseph Castaneda